To print this helpful "Moving Check List"please click
More than 14 days before moving
- Get boxes and moving supplies.
- Arrange phone service at your new home.
- Take unwanted items to charity and/or dump.
- Set up mail-forward with Canada Post
- Dispose of household chemicals properly (old paint, caustic cleaners, etc.). Take these to the local Toxic Waste Centre.
- Arrange the return of any cable TV equipment.
Complete necessary change of address forms:
If necessary, do the following:
- Drivers' license, Health cards, Insurance
- Make travel arrangements and reservations.
- Employer, Doctor, Dentist
- Arrange transfer of car insurance & license plates.
- Magazine subscriptions and other mailings
- Notify kids' schools, transfer records.
- Memberships, insurance
- Register at new school.
- Bank accounts, credit cards, and tax office (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency)
- Get copies of medical and dental records; if you have pets, get copies of veterinary records.
8 to 14 days before moving
- Return borrowed items.
- Arrange connection of utilities at new place.
- Retrieve loaned items
- Arrange disconnection of utilities at old place.
- Arrange for major appliances to be moved.
- Dispose of all flammable materials.
2 to 7 days before moving
- Determine what you can bring with you if travelling by car, plane, train, or bus.
- Pack a suitcase with the clothes and toiletries that you'll need the first day in your new home.
- Prepare "installed items" that you're bringing
- (TV antenna or shelves*).
- Pack a special box with other essentials you'll need for the first few days and marks this box "Do Not Move".
The day before moving
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Pack your personal belongings, except your alarm clock, necessary clothes, jewellery and bedding.
- Keep paperwork accessible.
- Collect all keys; keep them in a safe place.
- Strip and dismantle beds.
- Clean premises that you are leaving, inspect with the landlord.
- Final walk-through: check all closets and cabinets
- If using a moving company, confirm the new address and delivery time with the driver.
- If using a moving company, walk about with supervisor and sign inventory forms.
- Know how to reach your new landlord or superintendent.
*Note: Ensure your lease permits the items that you plan to install in a new place. Some leases may not permit the installation of shelving screwed into walls or TV antennas.
Be sure to give proper notice; see the Provincial Fact Sheets for information on the notice required.